Holiday Fire Risks
One in every four home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems. Be careful about the placement of the tree in your home, as well as lights and decorations that could potentially ignite. Always keep a close eye on the tree when it is lighted, and follow these safety measures:
- Buy quality lights with a safety rating
- Never use old lights with frayed cords
- Use heavy-duty, safety-rated extension cords
- Don’t overload your electrical outlets with too many plugs
- Do not leave your tree lighted when you are sleeping or not at home
- Place tree safely away from heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces
- Do not let anyone smoke near the tree
- Keep the tree hydrated with plenty of water
Sure, candles provide a certain ambience and can fill you home with wonderful aromas, but open flames can present a huge fire risk. The incidence of candle fires is four times higher during December than other months. If you use candles, never leave them unattended while lighted. Keep them far away from any curtains, bedding, kitchen items such as pot holders or dishcloths, or towels in a bathroom, to prevent a high flame from igniting nearby fabric. Also keep them away from open windows and doors to avoid the chance of a gust of wind knocking them over.
Children and Pets
Pay particular attention to young children and pets who can inadvertently topple lighted candles, ornaments and trees while playing. Keep lighted candles elevated so they do not have access. As children get a little older and curious, make sure matches and lighters are kept out of reach. Purchasing child-safety lighters is a good preventive measure. Never leave a child or pet unattended in a room with a lighted candle. Consider using flameless, battery-operated candles to be on the safe side. These can provide extra peace of mind during the busiest days of the holiday season when a lot of people are in your home, and you are busy cooking or talking with guests.
Keep the joy in your holidays by making sure you decorate, cook and entertain safely this season.
SERVPRO of Vigo County is a locally owned and operated leader in restoration and cleaning needs. We serve local communities in the Terre Haute, Indiana, area. We have the training, equipment and expertise to handle your needs following disasters and accidents in your home and business. We offer 24-hour emergency service and are faster to any disaster. Call us today at (812) 242-9611 when you need help getting your property back in order and looking its best. We are part of SERVPRO, a trusted leader in the restoration industry with over 1,700 franchises in the United States and Canada.