Fire Damage Emergency Tips

What you can do until help arrives

Water Tips  |  Fire Tips   |  Biohazard Tips   |  Mold Tips

Fireplace Safety

Clean the firebox after each fire but retain a light layer of spent ashes to create a good based for the next fire. Remember, coals can remain hot for several days. When you remove them, immediately take them out of the house and store them in a fire-safe vessel. If you have a ceiling fan in the same room as your fireplace, run it clockwise on a low speed to redirect warm air from the ceiling into the living space.

Safety Tips 

  • Don’t overload the fireplace with wood
  • Use only clean, dry wood, cured for 8-12 months
  • Build the fire slowly
  • Never leave a lighted fireplace unattended
  • Make sure fire is extinguished before going to sleep
  • Remove dry spent ashes from fireplace & store outdoors in a fire-safe vessel
  • Keep any flammable materials a safe distance from the fire
  • Glass doors should be kept open when a fire is lit
  • Keep a fire screen in front of fireplace
  • Place a non-flammable rug in front of the fireplace
  • Make sure your smoke & carbon monoxide detectors are working

SERVPRO of Vigo County is locally owned & operated leader in restoration & cleaning needs. We serve communities in the Terre Haute, IN, area & have  training, equipment & expertise to handle your needs following disasters & accidents in your home & business. We offer 24/7 emergency service & are faster to any disaster. Call us today at (812) 242-9611 when you need help getting your property back in order & looking its best. 

Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (812) 242-9611

What To Do After A Fire

  • Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
  • Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
  • Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  • Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
  • Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
  • Change HVAC filter.
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.

What NOT To Do After A Fire

  • Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
  • Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
  • Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
  • Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
  • Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.

Visit our updated page