Why Does My Carpet Smell So Bad?
Have you ever been sniffing around wondering where a certain smell is coming from? Then you realize it is coming from your carpet. If your carpet has a bad smell, consider these possibilities, it may require a professional carpet cleaning. Once you find the source of your carpet odor, you can decide the best treatment.
- Moisture or dampness
- Often times moisture can be trapped in the carpet and carpet pad leading to a musty odor. This can be caused by humidity, spills, potted plants dripping on them.
- A flood in a finished basement can cause carpet odor. If the situation is not handled properly, continued moisture exposure can cause mildew and mold growth.
- Pet odor
- When pets use your carpet as a bathroom, the smell can really linger around.
- The smell of pet urine can sometimes return even after a carpet cleaning. This is due to the gases released by the bacteria that are digesting the urine.
- The best solution for eliminating pet odors are dry carpet cleaning treatments or treatments that use enzymatic odor removal products.
- Cigarette smoke
- If someone smokes inside the home, the carpet can hold in the cigarette smoke odor.
- While the person living there may not notice the smell, but visitors will.
- A professional carpet cleaning is suggested to remove the smell, but if the smoking was excessive, the carpet may need to be replaced.
- Old age
- Carpeting is made from fibers that break down over time.
- Carpet cleaning can't remove the old, musty smell from the carpet. It needs to be replaced.
- Along with smell, old carpets start to release dust contributing to indoor allergies.
- Food and drink spills
- Any food or drink spills on carpet can lead to odors.
- Professional carpet cleaning is best to remove the smell.
SERVPRO of Vigo County proudly serve the communities of:
- Terre Haute
- North Terre Haute
- Otter Creek Junction
- Clay City